COVID-19 has been a universal pandemic and there is a quick increase of deaths because of the effects of COVID-19 every day. Obese patients, patients who experience obesity related diseases and patients who had bariatric surgeries form an important group who should be careful with this pandemic.
The virus especially affects the older people and causes deaths in them; also those who experience Diabetes, Chronic Lung Diseases and Hypertension are under risk.
COVID-19 virus usually causes Pneumonia after gets into the lungs and results in significant breathing conditions. That means, virus primarily targets the lungs of patients. Therefore, precautions are essential and should be taken without compromise.
In this case, the risk level for people who are overweight and those who have had bariatric surgeries is not fully obvious; still, a few warnings can be made.
COVID-19 and Morbidly Obese Patients
- The COVID-19 virus is more serious for patients with diabetes, hypertension or chronic lung diseases. Obese patients, especially those whose body mass index is above 40 kg/m2are known to have at least one of the diseases above besides obesity.
- It should be considered that the capacity of lung in obese patients is 30% lower comparing to healthy people. And therefore, infected lung tissues are more prone to develop pneumonia.
- Obese patients produce more TNF-α, IL-1, and IL-6; known as Proinflammatory Cytokine. This situation results immune system to be weaker and a vulnerability in case of infectious diseases.
Therefore, obese individuals should be extra careful for the COVID-19 virus which mainly targets and affects the lungs.
Although it is too early to advise a medicine; it can be understood that medications which has “N-Acetyl Cysteine” in, increase the production of mucus in the lungs and limit the entrance of infectious particles.
COVID-19 and Patients Who Have Undergone Bariatric Surgeries
- It may be presumed that patients who had bariatric surgeries before hold a lower level of risk thanks to the positive effects of losing excess weight such as increased capacity of lung and tangible decrease on Hypertension, Asthma and Diabetes.
- Patients who had bariatric surgeries before may see decreases in their B12, Iron Minerals and Vitamin D levels. Iron minerals play a significant role in carrying oxygen to the tissues. Vitamin D is an essential part of the immune system along with calcium metabolism. It is important for patients who had bariatric surgery to take supplements with these necessary vitamins and minerals.
In order to get further information on the relation between Covid-19 and obesity, get in touch with Mono Obesity Surgery; dedicated medical consultants and professional bariatric surgeons will help you with your inquiries and inform you about the details of obesity surgeries in Turkey.